P25 (APCO-25 or Project 25) is a digital radio communications standard designed to fulfil the voice and data needs of police, public safety and government radio networks, allowing interoperability between groups improving emergency response capabilities.
The Two Phases of P25
Phase I is available in analog, digital or mixed modes using Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA) and uses the IMBE voice codec.
Phase II utilises a two time slot Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) trunking arrangement and the proprietary AMBE2+ voice codec to improve voice quality, data throughput and spectrum efficiency over Phase I.
P25 Phase II Key Features
- Two slot TDMA in 12.5 kHz channels achieving 6.25 kHz equivalence
- Simultaneous voice and data
- Superior coverage performance when compared with TETRA systems
- Short Data Message (SDM) and packet data services
- High level security encryption available
- Supports SNMP for remote network management and operational maintenance
MCS Digital offers a range of P25 solutions from manufacturer’s including: